Tuesday 6 January 2009

Back to work and loosing all my kids to full time education.....



Finally back to work today after a lovely break from the sewing machine to be at home. My youngest started full time school today after being only part time last term - which means I will now be child free for a good part of each day - not really quite sure how I feel about that - the start of a new era!
I was able to spend most of the day at my workshop which has been seriously neglected over the holidays with many rolls of fabric just waiting to be turned into curtains and blinds by yours truly. My OH made a new sign to go out on the main road over Christmas - it bought in one passing customer today - lets hope for many more! She wanted some cowboy fabric - didn't really like the one I had so guess where I suggested......answers on a postcard please!!! Said I would be more than willing to run up any of that fabric - in fact I love working with CK so much that I would probably would not have charged her (joke!)



This is a little blind I made today for my new fabric showroom next door to the workshop - it is from Vanessa Arnothnutt - again, lovely stuff!


On the home front we have a problem - on the coldest day of the year so far our boiler had deceided to pack up so we are freezing our little socks off tonight! As I type I have a scarf and bodywarmer on with fingerless gloves all while waiting for my electric blanket to reach maximum temperature....never mind - all good for the calorie consumption!

More photos of the workshop on the next post as I can't seem to load more than 2 this evening - purposly took my camera to work today so I could show you all around! 8(.

Spoke to the lovely MelMel tonight and very much looking forward to her visit down south on Friday - must get tidying!!!

16 comments:

Claire said...

Oh you poor things, bloomin boilers, it had to be in the coldest week as well! I kept the heating off for a few hours this morning now the boys are back at school, but blimey it was freezing so pack yourself off to bed with hot water bottles and blankets!!
Hopefully your new sign will bring in new customers, do you have a website yet?
Claire xx

MelMel said...

Hi Jenny, thank you for the call last night, was good of you!xxxx

A Thrifty Mrs said...

Great blind.
Boilers are a nightmare. Our whole heating system went at the start of last year so I feel your pain. Blankets, blankets and more blankets.

Lesley (Notesfrommydays) said...

oh poor you hope you feeling a bit warmer - hot water bottle in bed with you i think!!
that blind looks fab - i like Vanessa A stuff :-)
i know what you mean about losing the children to school - my youngest started in Sept and he was only 4 a week earlier (end of august) so a bit of a wrench but he loves it so just me feeling a bit lost sometimes! Lesley x

Shabby Chick said...

Hi thanks for popping by my blog and for the advice :) Tacking up the fabric is a really good idea, I think I'd like to do it for my own piece of mind too!

Oh yes, fabric addiction is completely normal. You must be in seventh heaven having a workshop full of it! I love that Vanessa Arbuthnott blind, though I haven't got any of her fabrics. My other faves are Cabbages & Roses and CK. I might do a post about my fabric stash soon though I am a tad embarassed about the amount of it!

Mel xxx

Tinyholder said...

Boilers always seem to break at the most inopportune times don't they?! I'm freezing now and I have the heating and the fie going. it is cold at the moment! So do you have your own farm? If so, you lucky devil! :-)

Shabby Chick said...

Ooh yes, pretty please do take a piccy of the glass fronted drawers, I just know I would love it!

Mel xxx

PS the word verification just now is "bansnot" heehee, quite appropriate this time of year!

Lace hearts said...

Oh, I feel sorry for you. We have no heating in half the house, and I'm really feeling it at the mo. So glad to hear the sign did its work already. One customer makes it a brilliant start. I made a blind (my first ever!) for my son's bedroom, and he wanted THAT cowboy fabric. I have to say, it was a pleasure to use it as I also love it. ;-)
Good luck with getting more clients in. x

No one is you ...& that's your power said...

Hi jenny
Hope you had lots of fun seeing Melmel and had good girly chats too!.
Hope your boiler is ok, lots of frozen pipes etc this time of year.
Glad your signs brought you a customer, lots of word of mouth and before you know it. That cowboy fabric is lovely, we used it for bunting in my little lads room.
The laura Ashley mirror is gorgeous , I just havent decided where to pop it or the little birdies yet!. Decisions , decisions!
Take care x Dominique

MelMel said...

Hello Jenny how did you do?xxx

MelMel said...

Hello Jenny, just popped by to say hi!xx

No one is you ...& that's your power said...

Hi Jennie
Hope things are going well , can you send me your email address as I am making my blog private. Your email wont be visible and I will delet it after x Dom

No one is you ...& that's your power said...

Hi Jennie
Can you pass me on your email as I am going private on my blog. It wont be seen .
xDom
ps apologies in advance if you have already as I am new to this and its proving me to think!
x Dom

MelMel said...

Hi Jenny....I've sent an email!xx

Callies Cottage said...

Read your comment on Mel Mel's post- isn't Caroline Zoobs stuff wonderful??
Warm Wishes,
Cally x

Fely said...

Oh my goodness! I've just founf you too!! I'll be coming by your workshop soon for fabrics! Remnants would be perfect cos my next project is a quilt each for the kids. God help me! Hahahah!